Tuesday, November 15, 2011

financial matters

Been a couple of weeks since I posted.  I'm trying to decide on some options for financial matters.  Currently, the only real debts that I have are my car and the condo.  I have a plan that I can have the car paid off in Feb of 2014 - just 2 1/2 years.  By then rolling the car pymt amount into the condo payment, I could have the condo paid off in June of 2018.  Just 6 1/2 years from now.  But I'm looking at the option of getting a laser focus and not putting money into my long term Contingency Fund and applying that $270 a month to the payments.  That would enable me to pay off the car by March of 2013 and the condo by May of 2016.  That would take a great deal of self-discipline for the next 4 1/2 years.  Can I do that?  Self-discipline is obviously not by strongest trait!  But I really REALLY  want to be debt free!  Can I do that month after month after month and not resort to using a credit card?  And would I be comfortable having no significant "cushion" for that 4 1/2 years?  Right now, I only have about $3200 cushion.  Not bad but I would sure feel much more comfortable with 3 times that amount.  So how do I want to use the next 5 years?  Building up a really good cushion or knocking out these debts?  More than these issues though, it is important that I not use my credit card ANYMORE!!!  I'm so blessed that I only owe a couple of hundred on my Discover card but I am going to take it out of my wallet and store it somewhere at the house that I won't have easy access to it.  If I don't have money in the bank to afford something - I CAN'T AFFORD IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment